Here’s me, doing my bit to participate weekly in Kelly’s Seven Quick Takes over at This Ain’t the Lyceum.
This Week’s Resources for Catholic Trauma Survivors
Takes. Best described as quick. Seven of them.
- I mean, surprise? There’s a link between narcissistic mothers and PTSD. By way of explanation, from the article, “As a child, your emotions may be deemed as inherently unacceptable if they pose any kind of a threat to your mother. Let’s say you love your paternal grandmother but know that your mother is jealous of her. Instead of being free to express your love, you might find yourself saying nasty things about your grandmother to please your mum.”
- As we pray the Divine Mercy Novena, here’s a good one from Kelly Tallent over at Catholic Mom, “Addiction, Prayer, and Mercy.”
- “[O]ften my unmet needs are actually a blessing inviting me into a more intimate relationship with Jesus. Had all my heart’s needs been met by the people in my life, what would there be to instigate my seeking the Lord’s healing?” De Yarrison is over at Catholic Mom with, “Made New, Memory by Memory.”
- Love Dr. Ramani. Here she is again, this time talking Narcissistic Siblings.
- Warning: a little crude at one point, but this article on Reversing Rough Childhood Effects With Compassion speaks to the power of having mercy on ourselves so that we can have real, heart-to-heart relationship with others.
- The title speaks for itself: When Care Becomes Codependence over at Christianity Today.
- Finally, ending on a positive note here! I’ve been using the GLAD technique once a day, and it’s been very helpful in finding honor for myself as a child of God, which in turn makes me more available for relationship with others–which is why God made us in the first place!
- [Bonus] All Things New: Breaking the Cycle and Raising a Joyful Family is available for preorder.
Thanks again, folks, for praying. My post-op healing seems to be on track! Meanwhile, this week’s AV will be a throwback to my fiction days: the Sabbath Rest Book Talk Playlist, featuring Carolyn Astfalk, Rebecca Willen, Corinna Turner, Theresa Linden, and many, many more!