Here’s me, doing my bit to participate weekly in Kelly’s Seven Quick Takes over at This Ain’t the Lyceum.
This Week’s Resources for Catholic Trauma Survivors
Takes. Best described as quick. Seven of them.
- I love when I get to hear a friend on a podcast! Melanie Owens of Joyful Ever After was just on Lindy Wynne’s podcast Mamas In Spirit, talking about how her wounds as a child of an alcoholic shaped, challenged, and then grew her understanding of faithful Catholic marriage & motherhood. It’s beautiful. Go listen.
- Fr. Mike Schmitz has a great one making the rounds: “If You’re Not Feeling Loved.” I love the message about Leah in there.
- Okay, so I share this one with a twinge of pain for what isn’t, but sometime’s it’s nice to read an article about people who came from families who lived resilience with each other rather than demanding it of their children but not themselves. All that was to share “Lessons From Children and Grandparents” by Gretchen Crowe over at OSV.
- As someone recovering from both trauma and compulsive overeating, this article is fascinating: “Adolescents with ‘elevated’ hunger hormone are more likely to develop post-traumatic stress disorder.” Especially interesting is the hormone studied tends to be considered hunger-related, but this study indicates that the body considers hunger a type of distress. The implications for that in the treatment of food addiction are astounding.
- This Sunday’s gospel journaling page for trauma survivors will come out in a few hours, so please sign up here to get yours free through the end of November, 20202.
- I also invite you to join in some discussion over on my Broken Grown-up Nation Facebook page.
- And whenever I’m having a hard time getting to #7, why don’t I just go to Dr. Ramani for backup? Dr. Ramani on the Emotion of Healing Adult Survivors of child abuse. There’s something just so healing about seeing someone justifiably angry at the things that have been done to us. “My goal is to uninterrupt those stories for them… We’ve just given them a dragon to slay.”
Also, let me know how I may pray for you? Meanwhile, make sure you give Kelly & the SQT crew a look see.