Here’s me, doing my bit to participate weekly in Kelly’s Seven Quick Takes over at This Ain’t the Lyceum.
This Week’s Resources for Catholic Trauma Survivors
Takes. Best described as quick. Seven of them.
- An oldie but goodie: Catholics Are Not Immune to Domestic Violence.
- 8 Things to Know About Dating an Abuse Survivor: families come from first dates, one way or another. If you’re a broken grown-up looking to start a family from your single status, this one might be good to read.
- How Healthy Is Your Domestic Church, by Dr. Greg Popcak over at OSV News. If you could use a tune-up on making Jesus present in the love between your family members, this quiz might be just the ticket.
- Another good one from Dr. Ramani: Did You Receive Inconsistent Treatment from Your Narcissistic Parents? This one breaks down how, when you hear the terms “scapegoat,” “golden child” and even “invisible child” and “handmaid,” why maybe you can’t identify a single one you were at all times in your family. Love Dr. Ramani!
- Trying to shake that people-pleasing reflex so many of us picked up in order to survive our families of origin? 10 Steps to Overcoming the Fawn Response has some great pointers.
- Hard science time! If Eyes Are the Windows To the Soul, Our Pupils May Reveal PTSD. I mean, it makes sense.
- This Sunday’s gospel journaling page for trauma survivors will come out in a few hours, so please sign up here to get yours free through the end of November, 20202. I also invite you to join in some discussion over on my Broken Grown-up Nation Facebook page.
Did any of the above help make sense of any aspect of your experience? That pupil thing really got me thinking. How about you?
Also, let me know how I may pray for you? Meanwhile, make sure you give Kelly & the SQT crew a look see.
The pupil thing is fascinating but makes perfect sense. We’re not just a clump of organs or a ball of emotions. We’re integrated – physically, emotionally, spiritually, psychologically – and one aspect affects the other(s).
Yeah, the more I read about trauma, the more TOB comes screaming out of every new scientific discovery. I mean, why are any of us surprised by this?!